Available Office Locations
Golden, CO / Tacoma, WA
About the Job
The Level Designer is responsible for creating game environments and playable spaces, incorporating their vision of the gameplay and feel of the project. Create paper concept designs, whitebox environments, as well as create levels themselves with all necessary scripting, and object placement. Level Designers are responsible for the overall quality of all levels in the game.
When creating single player or co-op levels, the Level Designer is responsible for ensuring that the flow and pacing of action creates fun and rewarding gameplay, provides a good learning curve for new features and mechanics, and all while driving the narrative in a cohesive and clear manner.
When creating multiplayer levels, the Level Designer is responsible for ensuring all levels support fair and balanced gameplay, with spaces that cater to multiple various play styles, and provide players with multiple avenues of approach.
Qualified applicants will need to send a portfolio of their work, complete a test, as well as interview both over the phone and in person in order to be considered. We are looking for team players that are interested in growing with the company for many years to come.
- Planning out levels for creation that correlate to major gameplay elements as stated in design documentation
- Working closely with the Design team to coordinate design as well as troubleshooting bugs
- Creating, editing, and expanding upon level documentation
- Working with Design team to fit maps to important gameplay elements
- Collaborating with Environment team to make sure art and design never conflict during the creation process
- Defining and overseeing level creation pipelines and best practices as needed
- Creating and reviewing level white box passes
- Level whitebox fine tuning and adjustments
- Take the initiative to identify, prioritize, call-out, and suggest solutions to problems both big and small.
- Regularly playtest builds and provide professional feedback to the team on how to improve our games.
- Share your thoughts about how to make the company a better place to work, improve the creative process, and help deliver better games.
- A minimum of 2 years experience with modern game development and level design
- Shipped at least one title
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Experience with Unreal 4
- Experience with Visual Scripting (Blueprint)
- Experience with imaging software (Photoshop)
- Experience with Office Suite software (Google Docs, MS Office, Confluence, etc...)
- Strict use of code names and complete confidentiality of project information for as long as its required
- Experience with video editing software (Premiere)
- Experience with cinematics software (Sequencer)