Art Outsouce Manager
IllFonic is seeking an experienced Art Outsourcing Manager. This role is primarily responsible for overseeing the visual direction of art created by vendors outside the studio; making sure that each asset meets the quality and aesthetic goals set by the project leads within the studio.
This is an art generalist position requiring hands on direction, management, and engine integration of a range of assets including characters, weapons, and environments.
The ideal candidate would have strong art direction and leadership skills to be able to manage, art direct, and provide detailed feedback to external art vendors. They must also be an experienced and flexible artist - able to build block out models, do paint and sculpt-overs, put final touches on textures and models, and implement final art assets. They will coordinate with production and art leads to build relationships and help identify art needs. This person will also need to be a great communicator as they will be interfacing with individuals and groups from all around the world.
- Generate detailed documentation, visual reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
- Organize internal feedback and sign-off procedures and act as the primary point of contact for communication with Outsource Vendors.
- Own the quality control over all incoming art assets, providing detailed and timely feedback.
- Collaborating with Producer and Art Leads to understand and communicate the visual goals of the project externally
- Implement approved assets into the game engine, along with making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and game ready.
- Schedule and track incoming assets for multiple projects.
- Maintain detailed records of monthly outsourcing spend.
- Personally, create high quality models, materials, environments when needed.
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong proficiency as an 3d generalist
- Skilled in creating and understanding PBR materials
- Experience with Substance painter, Substance Designer, or/and Quixel Suite
- 5+ years professional experience developing high quality titles as a 3d artist
- At least 2 years of experience working as an outsource manager.
- Passion for playing and creating games
- Experience vetting external parties for viability and quality and making recommendations on choice of external vendor.
- Self-driven with strong communication skills, written and oral.
- Proven experience working closely with many other disciplines as well as being a team player
- Demonstrable competence in problem solving, with an ability to overcome any resistance, setbacks, and obstacles that may arise.
- Strong understanding of the art creation process from an aesthetic, pipeline, and technical standpoint.
- Intermediate understanding of Maya, Max, Photoshop, ZBrush, Blender
- Highly organized with the ability to adhere to asset organization processes and follow work pipelines.
- Leadership and people skills.